Sunday, June 26, 2011

My first ever blog post!

I guess I'm blogging now.  I created this page a few days ago and then I just kind of sat on it.  What should I write about?  And better yet, who'd actually want to read about it?  But alas, here I sit, typing for readers that probably won't even read this because I'm probably not that interesting.  Anyway, I should probably briefly introduce the two main people who will show up regularly in my blog- Josh and Clementine.  Josh is my husband.  He's in the Army and he's super awesome.  He was the one who gave me the title of Household 6 way before I started taking care of business the way I do now.  I guess he had high hopes for me, and I really hope I'm living up to them.  Together we have a super gorgeous daughter, the aforementioned Clementine.  She's almost 5 months old and being her mother is by far the most amazing job I've ever had.  I know a lot of people say they have really good babies, but most of them are probably lying.  I actually do have a really good baby.  She's so smiley and happy.  In pictures-

And I guess I should show you who I am, too:
(I swear I'm not 15.  No matter how young I look, I can actually legally buy alcohol.)
And this is my favorite picture from her newborn shoot:
She is.....words cannot adequately describe just how incredibly perfect. 

We also have 2 chihuahuas that complete our family.  They used to be great.  Now they're jealous of the baby and they're more obnoxious than anything.  Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.

Anyway, enough of that.  I decided to start my blog tonight after I made dinner.  I should probably put it out there that unless it's dessert, I don't eat half of what I cook.  My husband on the other hand will eat anything.  This isn't a big deal.  It works in our household.  I make him what he wants, and I eat a Lean Cuisine.  Or cookies.  Whatever.  Tonight he wanted chicken tacos.  Well, we didn't have much of what the recipe (okay, it was the one on the box of the taco kit) called for (am I the only person who doesn't keep squash and black beans just sitting around my house?), but I wanted to do more than just chicken and sauce in a taco shell.  So I started scouring the fridge and pantry to come up with some way to make the tacos special.  Upon opening the taco box, I realized the taco shells were all broken.  I ended up breaking them all onto a cookie sheet.  I coated chicken breasts in olive oil, salt, pepper, and taco seasoning and threw them on the George Foreman until they were done.  I dumped the Rotel and corn I found in the pantry into a frying pan, mixed with taco sauce and the chicken breasts I had just sliced up and heated them all together.  I scooped it all over the broken taco shells, covered it with cheese, and stuck it in the oven at 500 until the cheese melted.  When it came out I covered it in lettuce, sour cream, taco sauce, and hot sauce.  And according to my husband it was REALLY good.  To me, it looked really gross:
This definitely is not the best looking or best tasting or even most interesting food I'll ever blog.  You probably have zero interest in trying to recreate this.  That's not the point of this entry.  In future entries there way more interesting, pretty, yummy things that will make you say "OMG I NEED THAT."  But not this one.  This one is because I realized this is what makes me feel so much like a wife.  Throwing out the recipes (I swear, this only happens once in a blue moon) and throwing stuff together myself.  Not knowing how things will turn out and having Josh rave over them.  I can't explain it.  It sounds weird.  I know it does.  But it's true.  I feel like I'm fulfilling my wifely duties even more so than when I plan out a meal and buy everything I need directly from a list.  It's a really nice feeling.  I guess it's a feeling worth dedicating an entire blog entry to.  I was going to write about some other stuff, too, but instead I'm going to go eat some fried ravioli because it's late, and well, I'm a foodie.

3 comments:

  1. I love you. You're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your food blog =) and I actually think those chicken tacos sound really yummy mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jae! I didn't have high hopes for them, but when we went grocery shopping yesterday he picked up all the ingredients to make them again!

    ReplyDelete